Skip to main content

Dal Kulfa recipe

Lets clear these Indian names first. 

Dal means Lentils and there are so many varieties of them.Most of them are cooked in almost the same manner,but a few of them are cooked with Milk,few of them are added in combination with other dals.A few of these can be combined with mutton or chicken ( cooking these differ a bit).Also they can be cooked with a variety of vegetables and green leaves like spinach,purslane or saag.In the end dal is a wholesome meal on its own,eaten either with rice or rotis or in the form of soup.If you learn to cook it well,then good for you.They say the simplest things are sometimes the tricky ones to cook.Too much blabbering....okay lets move on.

Kulfa is Purslane leaves.My hubby says they are cooling things..in the sense...you can eat them in the summers.Spinach is a heaty thing I've heard.Anyone wants to correct me anywhere,please go ahead.

I used red lentils as they are my favourite,they cook faster and I love to eat it with rice,matta rice or basmati rice,your choice.

2 bunches of kulfas.The leaves have to be plucked and washed and kept aside.For 2 people or 3,
2 cups of red lentils,washed well and kept aside.

I use a pressure cooker coz its faster but if you have a normal vessel with a good lid,that's perfect too.Add the lentils,add 4 cups of water or the water level should be at least an inch and half above the lentils.Now add the leaves directly,add half a tsp of turmeric powder,salt to taste,red chilly powder and a few green chillies.( you know your spice limit,so adjust,we Indians love our chillies and that's what makes us hot ;>)

Close the lid.If its a pressure cooker,then I think a mere 8 minutes will do,if its not a cooker,then close the lid and keep checking.The dal will cook and so will the leaves.You don't want a paste or you don't want the contents to stick to the bottom of the pan.Keep stirring if not using a cooker.

Now the main thing.Its called the tadka( don't remember what its called in English right now),I guess tempering.

Using clarified butter or ghee is the perfect thing here but you can use sunflower or any vegetable oil you like.Olive oil will render a different taste.I normally use sunflower oil and rarely ghee.
3/4ths of a cup of oil in a small shallow frying pan.To it,add an inch of finely chopped ginger,half an onion finely sliced,2 tsp of garlic chopped fine,half a tsp of mustard seeds,half a tsp of jeera or cumin seeds,a pinch of hing or asafoetida and 2 dried red chillies and curry leaves.When the garlic gets golden Brown,switch the gas off ( shouldn't be on high heat anyways) and directly add it to the Dal-leaf mixture.

Close the lid after mixing it in well and let it sit on simmer for at least 15 minutes on slow heat.If the Dal is thick,add water to make it a little watery like consistency.

That's Dal kulfa for you my way.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Beauty secrets : Multani Mitti

I was 20 when during my monthly eye brow shaping,my beautician was like you should try a facial.But I refused As my skin has been always too sensitive and the marks of anything and everything from simple burns to blemishes takes years to fade off.That's when she told me about multani mitti.As usual I didn't pay any attention initially but she was like,you can clean your face weekly with this mud pack made with rose water and your skin would be simply clean.I tried it whenever my eyes caught hold of the pack in my cupboard.Then 10 years later,it again became a staple in my cupboard but now I use it every week.

What is Multani mitti?

Its a type of mud,smells like clean mud and feels like mud on your skin.I reckon if one uses chemicals like bleach on the face,this would be a lovely soothing alternative in your beauty regimen.

I buy this chunk of of this rock like thing and sit at home and break them into small pieces and grind them in a mortar and pestle.I was scared to use my gr…

Foods to avoid if you have rheumatoid arthritis (RA)

Eating fruits and vegetables may help to prevent rheumatoid arthritis. A study from the Mayo Clinic showed that women who ate diets higher in fruits and vegetables were less likely to develop rheumatoid arthritis. This study doesn't show that eating fruits and vegetables will improve the symptoms of rheumatoid arthritis; however, everyone should eat at least five servings of fruits and vegetables every day.

There are some foods that may help you feel better by reducing inflammation. Research shows that omega-3 fatty acids may help to reduce inflammation. Choose foods with healthy fats such as fish, walnuts, soy, canola oil, flax seeds and pumpkin seeds. Here's a list of my favorite anti-inflammatory foods.

Anti- Inflammatory Foods :

What to Eat

Fats and Oils. Omega-3 fatty acids are found in cold-water oily fish,flax seedscanola oil and pumpkin seeds. Consumption ofmonounsaturated fatty acids found in olive oil, avocados, and nuts has been linked to reduced risk of cardiovascula…

Fibroids

One of the many things that grow inside a uterus and cause problems for some while others barely know about it in their life are FIBROIDS.I was recently diagnosed with multiple fibroids and cysts when my usual monthly periods became a little too unbearable.We got an ultrasound done which led to many other gynecologists doing the same thing for confirmation.

My fibroids are small but I have been told that my periods will be stopped for a couple of months and regular ultrasounds will be done to ensure that no fibroids are growing out of proportions or are getting benign or malignant,which again is done through a biopsy.I just thought I will write about a  bit of my journey as I spend this time scared.

I told a couple of my friends and they all had scary stories to tell about how some relative didn't take care of themselves and were finally diagnosed with cancer at a later stage and died from it.I had my share of panic attack yesterday night and after a proper informative chat with my …